Monday, September 24, 2012
Khan Academy
My first reaction to this was one of puzzlement. Why would anybody
prefer to learn like this over learning in a classroom setting where
there is face-to-face personalized interaction with the instructor? But
then as I listened to Mimi explain the benefits of it and I dug a bit
deeper into the content on the website, I see now what an excellent
teaching tool it can be. The part I find to be the most appealing,
especially thinking back on myself as a middle school and high school
student, is that the teacher is endlessly patient. The student has the
ability to pause the lesson and go back over it as many times as they
want without the teacher getting annoyed at having to repeat him/her/itself or telling you that you got the wrong answer in front of your classmates. I used to (and still do!) get very anxious about speaking up in class and I know that I was/am not alone. Also, I think that spending classroom time going over what you learned on your own and having the opportunity to use that time to complete assignments seems very productive to me. I suppose that it's true though, as Mimi mentioned, that this type of flipped classroom would be most conducive to learning math and science rather than the humanities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment