Wednesday, November 14, 2012

On Technology

So much is lost in a world dominated by technology. I often play Lumosity or Sudoku on my phone in the subway. For me, it's a way to disengage and escape momentarily, but once in a while I'll look up from the screen at my surroundings and am grounded once again. I question my decision to stare at a screen when I could be present and observe a grandmother and grandchild resting with their heads on each other's shoulders, for example--a small moment between the two of them but one that gives me, as an observer, much pleasure to witness. It's healthy to be reminded of good when the world is inundated in destruction and negativity. This feeling would never have arisen in me had I not looked up. I think that as only a partial Web 2.0 native I am more conscious of lifting my head, but I get the impression that it rarely occurs to full Web 2.0 natives to look up. My boss told me a story: She was waiting in the car for her friend whose two young teenagers were in the back seat. They were texting...to each other! Does the net generation understand the value of face to face interaction? Do they understand the importance of this for building and maintaining a strong local community?

No comments:

Post a Comment