Sunday, October 21, 2012

Project-Based Learning

Project-based learning can help to motivate students. It pushes them to engage cognitively and metacognitively and results in deeper understanding while giving them a hand in their own learning. Having the opportunity to solve real problems helps to contextualize learning and makes the subject matter more relevant for students. This type of hands-on learning is specifically beneficial for ESL students because it pushes them to interact and practice their communication skills of listening and speaking. I think that WebQuest is an excellent example of effective project-based learning. Going through a quick WebQuest in class the other day really helped to clarify how beneficial this type of learning can be. The particular WebQuest that we did required students to read and research then participate in a role-play which requires them to practice their listening and speaking skills. At the same time, the fact that the activity is done in a group motivates by pushing them to pull their weight so as not to let their group members down. The critical thinking needed for this type of activity helps students to retain information. From personal experience I can say that whenever I've been engaged in learning through doing I internalize information on a much deeper level.

No comments:

Post a Comment