Tuesday, October 9, 2012

NY Public Library's "On-Lion"

The NY Public Library "On-Lion" site is great! I'm glad to know about it. There are many wonderful resources for kids and even though they aren't directly geared towards ELLs, I think that the appeal and interactiveness of the stories and games is enough to keep a kid exploring (even if he/she knows no English at all). It's amazing how kids take to technology and how quickly they learn just by exploring. This site would allow a kid, no matter what their English language proficiency, to have fun and take an active role in their own learning. I don't have a NY Public Library card so I couldn't access Tumble Books, but I thought the one we looked at in class was engaging. However, the narration was a bit fast. Even though the audio can be paused and rewinded, I think that, at least that particular story, might be a bit too hard. I wish that I had a card so that I could explore more stories! I did find all sorts of excellent activities in the games section though. There are activities for all four skills--reading, writing, listening, and speaking. I would definitely use this site with young English language learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment