Sunday, December 16, 2012
Reading Rockets
Reading Rockets is an excellent site dedicated to teaching children to read and helping struggling readers. It is loaded with resources for parents, teachers, principals, librarians, and other professionals including multimedia such as videos and podcasts. The Reading Rockets program also includes TV programs on PBS. My favorite feature of this site is the video interviews of authors of popular children's books. What a great way for students to connect to the creators of the books they're reading. Meeting the author takes the book to a personal level, which often can make a huge difference in a student's motivation to read a book, especially if they can somehow identify with the author. The site also includes ideas for how to use the interviews in the classroom. There are book lists specifically for ELLs, including books specifically about refugee experiences. Wow! I just noticed that when I clicked on the Multicultural book list I was actually taken to an associated site called Colorín Colorado!--a bilingual site for ELLs. Although the books aren't free, there are many many book suggestions and short blurbs about them. This is a fantastic resource for finding ideas for books to use in the classroom. As a teacher, I would absolutely use this site for ideas and guidance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment